Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tell me what you think



So this might be a little bit long - not quite as long as Bug's, but crazy thing, and want to get some opinions about what happened. First let me start out by saying that in my profession, I haven't had any crazy, spooky, or neat things happen at work, even when we lived at the mortuary, until now.




When I was in high school I went with dad and grandma to help dress grandpa after he had passed away. I remember it like it was yesterday. The room we were in had a curtain, and as I walked into the room, it felt like I walked through a wall or maybe a veil. It is something I cannot describe, but very peaceful. I have always remembered it, and that room is still hallowed to me and it still feels special to me, as I go in their on a regular basis.




Friday night I was on call and spent the night at the mortuary (which I have done many many times - nothing new) I went to bed about 11:00 after helping take care of Larry Miller, and fell asleep. Normally I sleep downstairs in one of our the arrangement rooms, but I didn't have my truck that has my pillow and blanket, so I slept upstairs in the "on-call" bedroom. It's been a while since I slept in that room. About 2 or 3 in the morning I heard someone walking on the carpet on the room, and could see the outline of someone. I thought it was maybe that was just coming to the mortuary to crash for the night and sleep in the room (unlikely, but very possible), and I didn't want them to think they were disturbing me, so I just laid there. The person talked about the need to spruce up the room and put new carpet and paint and make it look better. Again, I didn't think much about it and decided to fall back asleep. As I started to go back to sleep it felt like this person put a blanket over me and I felt much warmer as a drifted off to sleep and thought that was nice of whoever was sleeping in the bedroom to put a blanket on me. After I woke up Saturday morning I was puzzled and perplexed by the events that happened. The more I think about it, the more I think I was a spirit, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. Some of the old timers say that Alma Larkin is still around haunting the building, or his son, Jay (Max's brother). There was no point during this whole event that I was scared, or felt cold, or felt bad. Anyways - post your comments on what your thoughts are.




On another note - I finally did my Hunter Safety course, and so now I can put in for draws and by tags to hunt a big Elk or Mule deer, or whatever else I decide to pursue. I don't have any plans, but I would like to get out and do some hunting in the near future.

4 comments:

Diana Glade said...

Wow. That is crazy! I can't tell you what to think of it, but maybe you should put new carpet in that room, like she says.

Bear said...

Hey I like Diana's idea, maybe that way they will be at peace and can pass on to the other side. Who knows, maybe it was just a dream, I had one the other day with Grandpa Glade in it and it felt like he was standing in the room when I woke up.

Bruce said...

I believe that you have a gift for doing the work that you do. I say this for many reasons, but one of them is because after one experience in taking care of Grandpa Glade you seemed drawn to that profession, and never looked back. You have also heard me say that undertaking is an art -- I think Larkins are the best I've seen. This isn't just corpse preparation I'm talking about, but the entire process. I believe that you have something of that in your genes. Back in the day, you will remember that it was a calling that was attached to being a Patriarch (at least in Larkin's case). We believe callings are inspired right? I think when you chose this profession that you "felt that call" and it has naturally fit in with your God given talents. So all that being said, I'd not be surprised if those that put their heart and souls into the business don't keep tabs on what is happening there and influence things as much as they are allowed to maintain the tradition of excellence and the business as a going concern. I also don't think Lance is off when he states that your ancestors are happy to see you there representing that line of the family. So take it for what it's worth, I believe you could be the recipient of a spiritual blanky as a note of care and appreciation for the work that you do. I believe that over the years that bedroom has been in different places upstairs, but it is not the first time I've heard of surreal experiences occuring there.

Michael said...

Offer they guy your hand next time!