Thursday, October 23, 2008

Daddy's Day Off











So I talked Nicole into going out shooting on my day off. I got a new .22 rifle and so I had something that doesn't hurt to shoot. It doesn't hurt physically or it doesn't hurt $ either. I can get about 1,000 rounds for the cost of 50 rounds of my .45. We had a good time. Carter also loved shhoting the .22. There was a story in the news up here about a Grandpa that took his 4 and 6 year old grandsons out shooting, and he was helping the 6 year old when the 4 year old picked up a differnet gun and shot the 6 year old in the back. I told Nicole that story and was scared she wouldn't let me take the boys and Afton our shooting (someday), but I was taken back when her reply was not "They shouldn't have been doing that" , but "Why was there a loaded gun that the 4 year old could get?" I think she is starting to understand that when properly trained and used it is a lot fun and relaxing. Landon was in school, and missed out on the day, but someday in the future he will get to come with us. Carter started goofing around while we were out and found a piece of wood that he wanted to "surf" on down a hill, so he spent an hour trying to surf on a little piece of wood (That explains one of the pictures). The reason I wanted to go shoot is beause I want to take a hunter education class so I can maybe do some hunting next year. Part of the class is shooting at targets and you have to shoot 50% of your 30 shots in the kill zone of a squirrel target and a rabbit target from the prone, kneeling, and standing postion. The last thing I want is to get schooled by some 12 year old, and not be able to hit any of the targets. Without any sort of a scope I was able to get at least a passing score, so we will see what happens, if I do get to do the class.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

WOW! what a cute family you have. you are so lucky :)

Lorraine said...

What a wonderful and fun way to have family time. Sorry Landon missed out.